Standedge cutting

The route of the third turnpike road that crossed the Pennine hills follows the line of the modern A62 from Delph to Standedge and beyond.

Engineering and technological advances allowed roads to be built through hillsides and along routes which took shallower gradients. The upper Castleshaw Valley is one example of where this led to new roads being built along new courses, with the lines of the older roads degrading into tracks.

This was once the busiest road in the West Riding, and it will have seen a large amount of traffic. The road was an artery bringing constant streams of heavily-laden wagons and beasts down from the east and then back up again from the western counties.

The route of the third turnpike road was improved from the second route between 1820-1839. In 1899 the Standedge Cutting was widened to its current size.

Find out more

Download pdf to find out more

Places to go

The Saddleworth Historical Society Bulletins contain a variety of articles relating to the turnpikes; these are available from the Society or at the Saddleworth Museum and Art Gallery.